A curated list of dotfiles resources. Inspired by the awesome list thing.
- Getting started with dotfiles
- Managing your dotfiles
- Dotfiles Are Meant to Be Forked
- Dotfile discovery
- Setting up a new (OS X) development machine: Part 3 - Dotfiles and custom SSH config
- Setting Up a Mac Dev Machine From Zero to Hero With Dotfiles
- Using Git and GitHub to manage your dotfiles
- conf.d like directories for zsh/bash dotfiles
Using GNU Stow
Using vcsh & mr
- Manage dotfiles Quickly and Effortlessly
- Managing dot-files with vcsh and myrepos
- Manage dotfiles using vcsh and mr
A collection of the most popular, well-maintained, and collaborative dotfiles repositories & frameworks. Some projects contain just the dotfiles. Others go further by allowing you to easily add your own custom dotfiles, and/or including scripts to manage dotfiles/plugins.
|Bashstrap||Bootstrap for your terminal. A quick way to spruce up OSX terminal.||OS X Terminal, prompt, iTerm.|
|Bash it||Community bash framework.||Autocompletion, themes, aliases, custom functions. Well-structured framework.|
|Mathias’s dotfiles||.files, including ~/.osx — sensible hacker defaults for OS X||Lots of goodness here, great collaborative community effort.|
|Maximum Awesome||Config files for vim and tmux, by Square vimsters.||Vim, tmux. Built for Mac OS X.|
|thoughtbot dotfiles||Set of vim, zsh, git, and tmux configuration files||Zsh, vim, tmux, git, homebrew. Uses rcm.|
|oh-my-zsh||Community-driven framework for managing your zsh configuration.||Includes 120+ optional plugins (rails, git, OSX, hub, capistrano, brew, ant, macports, etc), over 120 themes to spice up your morning, and an auto-update tool.|
|Prezto||Prezto is the configuration framework for Zsh.||Enriches the command line interface environment with sane defaults, aliases, functions, auto completion, and prompt themes.|
|YADR||The best vim, git, zsh plugins and the cleanest vimrc you've ever seen||Homebrew, zsh, git, vim, and more. Active repository.|
|holman does dotfiles||holman does dotfiles||Organized well around topics. Author wants it to work for everyone.|
|antigen||Plugin manager for zsh, inspired by oh-my-zsh and vundle.||Antigen is a small set of functions that help you easily manage your shell (zsh) plugins, called bundles.|
There are many more great dotfiles repos out there, each containing their own inspiration and gems.
Tip: search for a filename on GitHub, e.g. site:github.com .gitconfig.
- Ansible - Radically simple configuration-management, application deployment, task-execution, and multinode orchestration engine.
- battleschool - Development environment provisioning using ansible
- Bork - Bash DSL for config management
- dotbot - Tool that bootstraps your dotfiles
- fresh - Keep your dot files fresh. fresh is a tool to source shell configuration (aliases, functions, etc) from others into your own configuration files.
- GNU Stow - GNU Stow is a symlink farm manager which takes distinct packages of software and/or data located in separate directories on the filesystem, and makes them appear to be installed in the same place.
- homeshick - Git dotfile synchronizer written in bash
- homesick - Your home directory is your castle. Don't leave your dotfiles behind (post).
- mackup - Keep your application settings in sync (OS X/Linux)
- rcm - rc file (dotfile) management
- Super User Stone - SUS manages the deployment of your configuration files (dotfiles) (post).
- vcsh - Version Control System for $HOME, multiple Git repositories in $HOME
- Cider - Cider is a simple wrapper for Homebrew and Homebrew Cask that allows you to save your setup across different machines.
- dockutil - Command line tool for managing dock items
- kody - Dotfiles runner/manager written in node
- osxc - Set of playbook roles made for OS X configuration
- A lesson in shortcuts - How the idea of "hidden" or "dot" files was born, by Rob Pike.
- dotfiles.github.io - Your unofficial guide to dotfiles on GitHub.
- dotfiles.org - dotfiles.org is a place to upload, download, and share your dotfiles.
- OS X Defaults - Centralized place for the awesome work started by @mathiasbynens on .osx.
- Awesome Shell - Curated list of awesome command-line frameworks, toolkits, guides and gizmos.
- Awesome Zsh Plugins - List of Zsh plugins suitable for use with oh-my-zsh, antigen & Prezto.
- Awesome Dev Env - Curated list of awesome tools, resources and workflow tips making an awesome development environment.